Aug 4, 2015

Training with the Clicker

I recently read The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller. 
It is a great book that any person with a dog or thinking about getting a dog should have. No hitting, jerking around or bullying your dog, just fun and effective ways to teach him to do what you want. I was planning to wait until I got a clicker to start with Chacha, but yesterday I found a old one that I've had for years. Although it is broken, it still clicks and will have to do for now. 
We started yesterday. I will be updateing our progress every so often. 
Here are the exercises for week #1. 

The Clicker - This teaches the dog that the click means treats. All you have to do is click then quickly give him a treat. Once the dog learns this, it will never need to be repeated. Chacha seemed to get after only about 6, but we done 15 just to be sure.

Name - Say the dog's name. If he looks at you, click and treat. This teaches him to pay attention to you when he hears his name. After I got the hang of timing the clicker right, Chacha caught on. Today he did better. 

Sit - Chacha already knows how to sit, but I usually have to lure him. Hopefully with more practice he will sit on cue. 

Down - Chacha knows this too. But as with sit, I have to lure him.










No comments:

Post a Comment